Marianne M. Miranda, founder and principal attorney of MALDONADO MIRANDA, P.A., advises clients on issues deriving from transnational commercial relationships, and handles matters in areas such as corporate governance, contracts, compliance, regulatory, and commercial disputes. Marianne has negotiated, drafted, and counseled on a diverse range of legal areas that include among others, Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) Agreements, distribution, licensing, purchase of goods and services, and stock-purchase agreements.
Her focus assisting companies and individuals find practical business solutions to legal issues stems from her years working in complex commercial disputes. She began her career as a commercial dispute attorney in Puerto Rico’s largest law firm, and later joined the renowned Miami-based international arbitration team at Astigarraga Davis, succeeded by Reed Smith. Marianne, a native Spanish speaker and fluent Portuguese speaker, has served clients in multiple industries including aviation, energy, oil & gas, telecommunications, food & ingredients, construction and hospitality. She is licensed in Florida and Puerto Rico, which affords her a valuable perspective and comprehensive understanding of both common law and civil law systems.
Examples of her work include:
- Counsel and strategic advisor for the development of commercial activities to group managing over 6000-acre real estate property subject to conservation easement.
- Advisor to Brazil-based contractor on numerous contractual issues pursuant to a $1.7B EPC Agreement.
- Conducted FCPA investigations in Brazil, Colombia and Mexico on behalf of US-based healthcare manufacturer.
- Negotiation, due diligence and drafting of aircraft purchase agreements for Venezuela and Brazil-based aviation companies.
- Part of defense team of Puerto Rico financial analysts in numerous highly contested FINRA arbitrations relating to major losses in stock value of several closed-end funds.
- Managed administrative-regulatory matters for US importers before the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and US Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
- Led internal corporate investigation in Colombia on behalf of US-based parent company, which led to dissolution and liquidation of foreign corporate entity.
- Represented a US reinsurer in a $7MM arbitration dispute with a Peru-based Insurance Carrier.
- Worked with local counsel in Argentina to assist US-based client facing tax evasion investigation.
- Represented Brazil-based distributor in breach of contract matter against US-based manufacturer.
- Advisor to Venezuelan aviation firm establishing new operations in the United States.
- Strategic consultant to Secretary of Puerto Rico Department of Consumer’s Affairs.
- Advisor to US-based distribution and import companies entering into exclusivity agreement with South America based manufactures.
Marianne is based in Miami Florida, and divides her time between Miami, Puerto Rico and Rio de Janeiro.
- The state of Florida
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- Florida Federal Southern District
- Florida Federal Middle District
- Puerto Rico Federal District Court
University of PR, School of Law, Río Piedras Campus ⎯ Juris Doctor (2012)
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO ⎯ Master’s Degree in Spanish Literature (2008)
Florida International University, Miami, FL ⎯ Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism (2004)